Sunday, April 29, 2007

To Dream...the Impossible Dream.

More Older stuff. Now, when I first started to become a serious art student, one of the things I wanted to do was to be a great fantasy/erotic painter. I'm talking full-blown Boris Vallejo/Frank Frezetta paintings with classicly beautiful and powerful women with barely any clothes, fearsome monsters, erotic human-creatures, and the kitchen sink. You know, real "John Carter of Mars" versus "Conan" and "Tarzan" stuff in a "Heavy Metal" magazine type stuff. Chicks, chain-mail, it was going to kick ass. Unfortuantly, it became quickly obvious that working beyond 4 levels of tones and color recognition were talents that were a bit lacking in me, even in a beginner's level. For years, I tried to take as much painting and figure classes as I can to get better, especially figure painting. Progress was slow, and works in my eyes were lacking. Frankly, it became frustrating when I would get some of the uniquely shaped and attractive models in class that I would never see again, like for example a female part-time bodybuilder competitor, and my painting of her would look like something out of a child's coloring book (still, that very painting hangs on my wall to this day).

Last semester, on some very good advice, I got the opportunity to deviate off my established animator education path and take a figure painting class with Don Lagerberg. I got schooled in reviewing and having a better understanding on colors, palettes, painting techniques, and toning that I didn't think I could do. It also introduced me to water-based oils, very nice and very clean in terms of paints. Even though taking this class caused the CSUF Finacial Aid Department to kick my ass big-time the following semester, I don't regret taking that class one bit. That department and I reached a compromise, so in good taste, I will not curse it out and bow out a grateful gentleman of refinement. heh.


Here is a painting I did of a very fine model named Aviva Grey (Gray?). Aviva is unique in that she was a friend of mine before my CSUF days through another teacher. She's a great person to eat with, great sense of humor, has a lot of great and blunt common sense and always takes the time to say "Hello". In my opinion, she is also a very attractive woman, a great to draw, and a pleasure to paint for 8 hours.



This other painting is of another very nice and pleasent model and a friend of Don's. I believe her name is Rebecca. Rebecca has a lean but very muscled redhead-tone physique with a regal and mature face and very commanding gestues. I got to do a color painting of her, and this photo I took of it does neither the painting or Rebecca justice.






Well, Obviously I still need a lot more work and I have my animation-based career to work on in the long run, but I haven't given up. Maybe I can do this well when I'm in retirement-age and just use my money to hire a bunch of models from then till the death of me. I think making nice paintings of beautiful nude women would be a pleasent way to live out the golden years. Never give up any of your dreams.






No comments: